Below you will find the documents and information needed to:
New activity requirements!
UPDATES FOR INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICATIONS (as of Oct 2017)
UPDATES FOR APPROVED PROVIDERS (as of Sept 2017)
In the Application Resources, Application Documents for Individual Activity Application and Approved Provider Documents sections below, you will find:
1. NEW Document updates
2. NEW guides
3. Summary of the NEW application and activity requirements
Based on the NEW application and activity requirements announced by ANCC in October 2017, the information on this page has been revised
to reflect the NEW requirements and provide guidance on the information you required for continuing nursing educational activities seeking
approval to award contact hours.
- Apply for approval to award contact hours for individual activities
- Apply for approval to become an approved provider of nursing continuing education
- Assist with the application process for both applications
Continuing Nursing Education Program Approval Guidelines
The Maryland Nurses Association (MNA) is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation (COA).
The ANCC COA accreditation signifies that educational activities approved by MNA meet national standards for quality continuing nursing education.
Continuing nursing education, according to ANCC, is an activity designed to "enrich the nurse's contributions to quality health care and pursuit of professional career goals". Continuing nursing education does NOT include activities intended to assist the participant to acquire, maintain, and/or increase the level of competence in fulfilling...assigned responsibilities SPECIFIC to the expectations of the employer.
Applying for Contact Hours for Continuing Nursing Education "Individual Activities" and applying for "Approved Provider Status"
ANCC PRIMARY ACCREDITATION CRITERIA CURRENTLY IN USE : 2015
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS WERE LAST UPDATED BY ANCC: OCT 2017
You will find the number of application documents have been reduced.
As of October 2017, documents have been removed OR revised and condensed to focus on the educational design process and quality outcomes.
To see what has changed see "Criteria Updates" below
Forms of Payment accepted
We accept payment by Check or Credit Card.
Please make check payable to Maryland Nurses Association
We accept Visa or Mastercard only, through an online credit card management web portal. Please contact Susan Prentice (email@example.com) to receive the link to process your payment by credit card.
Application Review Fee : INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICATION
The non-refundable fee to review an individual activity application is $100.00 plus $10.00 for each contact hour (total of all the presentations/activities that qualify for contact hours and will offer contact hours in your activity). The review fee must accompany the application.
For instructions on calculating contact hours for the review fee payment click here. Also click on the "FAQ" link below under the "Application Resources" header for additional details.
LATE FEES - (For Individual Activity Applications-Non-Refundable)
$150 Late fee: Applied to applications received 5-7 weeks prior to presentation date
$300 Late fee: Applied to applications received 2-4 weeks prior to presentation date
$500 Late fee: Applied to applications received under 2 weeks prior to presentation date
(Under 2 weeks option is not available for new applicants. New applicants must allow for 3 or more weeks for application review)
Individual Activity applications received with less than 2 weeks until presentation date for review, must include review and late fee before review will begin. If received without full payment, review will be delayed and possibly declined for review
Late Individual Activity applications will be reviewed dependent upon the availability of reviewers and completeness of the application. The late fee must accompany the application. Same day or walk-in application review requests are not accepted.
Application Review Fee : APPROVED PROVIDER APPLICATION
The non-refundable approved provider application review fee is $1250.00. The review fee must accompany the application. Same day or walk-in application review requests are not accepted.
There are currently no late fees associated with Approved Provider application submissions
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION FOR :
Contact hours for an Activity OR Approved Provider Approval
APPLICATIONS ARE SENT IN VIA MAIL ONLY
WHERE & HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Via Mail to:
Maryland Nurses Association
Attn: CE Applications
6 Park Center Court, Suite 212
Owings Mills, MD 21117
INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICANT Submissions: (Approval period lasts for 2 years)
APPROVED PROVIDER APPLICANT Submissions: (Approval period lasts for 3 years)
- Applications should arrive at the MNA office at least 8 weeks prior to the first presentation date in order to provide time for review.
- Submissions received less than 8 weeks prior to presentation date or expiration date are subject to a late fee or denial of review. Same day requests are not accepted.
- Please submit your payment, ONE paper copy and either a CD or USB containing ONE PDF of the entire application packet.
- Please allow 2 - 8 weeks for a reviewer to review your application and respond with feedback
- Applications should arrive at the MNA office at least 3 months prior to the expiration of your approval status or start of educational activites requiring contact hours in order to provide time for review.
- Although at this time, late fees are not applicable to approved provider applications should your approved provider application arrive at our office less than 3 months prior to the expiration of your approval status or start of continuing nursing educational activities requiring contact hours, you risk your approval status expiring before approval can be given. You may still provide continuing nursing educational activities, however, to award contact hours you will need to submit your individual activities to us for review and approval to award contact hours or you can offer the continuing nursing educational activities without contact hours
- Please submit your payment and TWO paper copies of your entire approved provider application packet
- Please allow 3 months for a reviewer to review your application and respond with feedback
RESPONSE TO REVIEWER MODIFICATIONS
It is very rare that an applicant does not respond to a modification request before the presentation date of an activity or date of expiration for an approved provider application. However, MNA is committed to the standards specified by ANCC that ensure continual improvement to the process of awarding contact hours for CNE activities. Therefore as the commission on accreditation continues to approve and revise criteria requirements, MNA will ensure applicants adhere to the standards that are in place at the time your application is being reviewed for approval. As a result:
• Individual Activity Applicants have a maximum of 6 months from the time a modification request is made to complete all modifications requested.
After 6 months your application will be considered cancelled and you will need to reapply.
• Approved Provider Applicants have a maxium of 4 months from the time a modification request is made to complete all modifications requested.
After 4 months your application will be considered cancelled and you will need to reapply.
Application guidance is and has always been graciously offered to applicants. Please take a moment to take advantage of the resources we have made available to you to make the application process easier. We appreciate the dedication of our applicants to provide nursing professional development, promote nursing excellence and quality patient outcomes and we want you to clearly understand the criteria and requirements for planning quality continuing nursing educational activities. We have provided information on this webpage and additionally we have a session every October at our annual convention that reviews the CNE application procedures and criteria updates. Although we do provide guidance on the standards for providing quality education, please do not rely on repeated requests for assistance to complete your application. Your application is a demonstration of your understanding of compliance with the current ANCC criteria and requirements for providing quality continuing nursing education. Once we have reviewed your application, we will provide further guidance to develop your documentation and CNE activities for compliance with the standards set by ANCC.
The good news is the vast majority of applicants do not require any assistance. Here is why:
• We offer links to ANCC manuals as a detailed resource for you to review, as well as links to FAQ's and recent ANCC updates (see below)
• Included in application documents are explanations to assist with completing each section
• We provide templates as a guide to ensure you understand the information needed to meet criteria for approval
All RN licensing boards nationwide acknowledge and accept contact hours from accredited
providers. The state licensing boards of California and Iowa have put some ‘caveats’ on their
acceptance. Both the California Board of Registered Nursing and the Iowa board say that if the
provider ENTERS their state and presents an activity, the provider must also apply to the that
state's board for approval, in order for the nurses from CA and IA to use the contact hours for
renewing their licenses. The CA Board of Registered Nursing considers internet learning and
other types of home study to be out-of-state, unless the provider is located in CA. They are in
Sacramento, and their number is 916-322-3350. The Iowa Board of Nursing considers internet
and other types of home study to be in-state. Their number is 515-281-3255
LETTER FROM THE CHAIR OF MNA's CONTINUING EDUCATION APPROVER COMMITTEE TO ALL APPLICANTS:
As the Chair of the Continuing Education Approver Committee, I am committed to serving our constituency of continuing education applicants and making the application and review procedure a user-friendly process. Thank you for your support of our program in the past and we hope to continue to assist in your continuing education needs in the future. Please let me know if we can assist you in any way or if you have any questions about the new guidelines.
PhD, CRNP, FAANP, FAAN
Chair, Continuing Education Approver Committee
Maryland Nurses Association
To view a list of frequently asked questions click here for FAQ's
NEW ACTIVITY REQUIREMENT UPDATES!
2017 CNE ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS - UPDATES
• October 2017 (IndivActiv & ApprProv) - To view the MOST RECENT requirements released for CNE activities click here.
2015 CNE ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS - UPDATES
• November 2015 (IndivActiv) - To view the requirements released in Nov2015 for Individual Activity applications click here.
• November 2015 (ApprProv) - To view the requirements released in Nov2015 for Approved Provider applications click here.
ANCC CONTENT INTEGRITY STANDARDS - UPDATES
• December 2016 - To view the updates released in December 2016 for ANCC's Content Integrity Standards click here.
ANCC MANUALS (PDF Files) - JULY 2016 RELEASE DATE
• July 2016 - To download the 2015 Primary Accreditation Manual for Approvers click here.
Manual for Individual Activity and Approved Provider Applicants
• July 2016 - To download the 2015 Primary Accreditation Manual for Providers click here.
Manual for Approved Provider Applicants
ANCC MANUALS (Hard Copies) - JULY 2016 RELEASE DATE
• July 2016 - The links to purchase hard copies of the 2015 Primary Accreditation manuals are below:
Provider 2015 Primary Accreditation Application Manual
Approver 2015 Primary Accreditation Application Manual
NOTE: The 2015 Primary Accreditation Criteria is currently in use. Applications submitted should adhere to
the October 2017 application requirements made under the 2015 Primary Accreditation Critera.
• Individual Activity Application (Required)
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Individual Activity Application - Click on BLUE LINKS below to access templates.
(For those who want to apply for contact hours for CNE activities)
(Please refer see FAQ document under "APPLICATION RESOURCES" above if you are unsure if this is the application you should complete)
Updated Nov2017! - - - - - LESS DOCUMENTATION TO PROVIDE !!
• PLEASE REVIEW- Descriptions and explanations of application attachments Revised Oct_2017
• Individual Activity Educational Planning Table-Live or Enduring Material (Required) Revised Nov_2017
Evidence of a review of the presence or absence of conflict of interest for Planners and Presenters(Required)
The Nurse Planner is required to determine the abscence or presence of conflict of interest or potential bias for all activity planners, presenters and provide evidence of the method of evaluation. Below are samples of documents demonstrating how the Nurse Planner may provide evidence of performing an evaluation of conflict of interest for activity planners and presenters.
Additional required information to submit with application to apply for contact hours: (Required)
• A list of evidence based references for each Presenter's session
• A full program Brochure/Agenda/Schedule (session times, breaks & welcome included)
• A copy of the evaluation form/tool used to determine the success of the CNE activity
• A copy of the method that will be used to identify the individuals who participated in the CNE activity (i.e: Sign in sheet)
• Commercial Support Agreeent (required if your activity will receive commercial support)
EFFECTIVE October 2017 - UPDATES TO THE REQUIREMENTS REGARDING AGREEMENTS (Individual Activity Applications):
Joint Provider and Sponsorship Agreements for individual activity applications
Although outlining the roles, responsibilities and agreed terms for both parties is a prudent business practice when an activity is Jointly Provided or receives Sponsored support, these agreements no longer required to be submitted with your activity application for review in order to receive approval for CNE activities. Applicants/Providers will still be required to disclose the name of any commercial interests providing "commercial" (not sponsorship donations or exhibitor fees) support and the type of commercial support received. Additionally, applicants/providers are still required to disclose the name of the activity's joint-provider(s) to participants. NOTE: COMMERCIAL SUPPORT AGREEMENTS ARE STILL REQUIRED TO SUBMIT if activity is receiving commercial support.
See Activity Disclosures page in the Individual Activity Application to see how the receipt of commercial support & having a jointly-provided activity is disclosed.
INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPLICATION RESOURCES - For assistance completing the application
For additional assistance with the individual activity application process see our "APPLICATION RESOURCES" section above.
In this section you will find:
• Links to ANCC's 2015 primary accreditation manuals
• A list of frequently asked questions; go to "Click here for FAQ's"
• A summary of the latest application requirements. See 2017 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS - UPDATES (October 2017 - IndivActiv)
REPORTS DUE TO MNA AFTER INDIVIDUAL ACTIVITY APPROVAL THROUGH MNA - For Individual Activities ONLY
After your approved individual activity has taken place and has been evaluated, MNA requires applicants to submit:
1. Post activity Cover Sheet
2. A summary sheet summarizing the responses received from the evaluations
3. The completed sign-in sheets/roster identifying the RN's who participated in the activity.
4. Quality Review Sheet - A review of areas of improvement
You can submit your Post-Activity reports via mail to:
Maryland Nurses Association
6 Park Center Court, Suite 212
Owings Mills, MD 21117
or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Approved Provider Application - Click on BLUE LINKS below to access templates.
You must also submit (3) three CNE educational activities your provider unit has awarded contact hours for, that have already taken place and evaluated by participants. The evaluations and sign in sheets for the 3 CNE activities must also be submitted. Two copies of the educational CNE activities, evaluations and sign in sheets must be made and submitted.
(For those who want to apply to become an Approved Provider or re-apply as an Approved Provider)
(Please see FAQ document under "APPLICATION RESOURCES" above if you are unsure if this is the application you should complete)
Updated Sept 2017!
Please complete the following documents to APPLY OR RE-APPLY to become an Approved Provider:
The 3 CNE activities you submit should be the most recent CNE activities you have held.
For use by Approved Providers when PLANNING activities:
EFFECTIVE October 2017 - UPDATES TO THE REQUIREMENTS REGARDING AGREEMENTS (For Educational Activities held by Approved Providers):
Joint Provider and Sponsorship Agreements for activities
Although outlining the roles, responsibilities and agreed terms for both parties is a prudent business practice when an activity is Jointly Provided or receives Sponsored support, these agreements no longer required to be submitted for review in order to award contact hourse for CNE activities. Evidence should be made available on file regarding the agreed terms for both parties . Planners are still required to disclose the name of any commercial interests providing "commercial" (not sponsorship donations or exhibitor fees) support and the type of commercial support received. Additionally, planners are still required to disclose the name of the activity's joint-provider(s) to participants if any.
IMPORTANT ANCC Terminology Usage REMINDER For Approved Providers:
APPROVED PROVIDER APPLICATION RESOURCES
- As an an Approved Provider awarding contact hours for continuing nursing education activities you do not use an "application" to plan your CNE activities you use a "planning template" to PLAN your CNE activities.
- As an Approved Provider you do not APPROVE activites to receive contact hours, you AWARD contact hours for your activities.
In addition the information provided to access ANCC's Primary Accreditation Manuals at the top of this page, (see ANCC MANUALS-July 2016 Release Date) a link to review frequently asked questions (see CLICK HERE FOR FAQs) and a summary of the latest application requirements (See 2017 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS - UPDATES we have also made available, a training webinar and powerpoint to assist you with getting to know the Approved Provider application. Learn about the Approved Provider application, with an explanation of the details and narratives applicants are expected to provide when applying to become an Approved Provider.
Below you will find the previously recorded training webinar held for Approved Providers applicants in February 2013 and the webinar Powerpoint. The Webinar was moderated by the MNA Chairperson of the Continuing Education Approver Committee, Janice Agazio, PhD, CRNP, FAANP, FAAN
NEW approved provider application requirements were released by ANCC in October of 2017. Although, some application requirements have changed, the explanations, processes and examples will still help in understanding the depth and detail required for your responses.
1. Webinar : Click the following link to view the Approved Provider Training Webinar held on February 22, 2013:
2013 Approved Provider Criteria Overview Webinar : This webinar is approximately 60 minutes
2. Powerpoint: Click the following link to access the Powerpoint file for the Webinar held on February 22, 2013:
2013 Approved Provider Criteria Overview Powerpoint
REPORTS DUE TO MNA AFTER APPROVAL-For Approved Providers
Following approval as an Approved Provider, the following reports will need to be submitted to the MNA office. They can be submitted via mail or email to Susan Prentice, email@example.com
• Annual Report for Provider (Once a year)
• Continuing Education Activity Summary (Twice a year - June and July)
Questions may be directed to Susan Prentice via email at firstname.lastname@example.org